1. How does the thought of “faith” being confidence in God’s character impact me?
The truth that my hope is founded on God's character, God's faithfulness, God's Sovereignty steels my soul. Without it I would despair. It has carried me through any and every situation which may have otherwise caused me to give up. It is the ONLY source of confidence I hold.
2. How might it impact my time and life here and now?
As I consider the next step, whether or not to reengage in active ministry in a congregational setting or to simply participate as a member of the local community, I need the confidence that I am able to discern the Lord's wishes, His direction, His will. I am confident that He will speak. My concern is whether or not I will be able to discern His voice above my own fears, dreams, or wishes.
3. If hope is the “sweet anticipation of desirable things promised but not yet realized” what are my hopes for this year?
My hope is for clarity of discernment in a world of noise. The cacophony of voices, the clamoring of the self-seeking, the fears seem to keep me from experiencing the sweet anticipation of anything but eternal life. My hope, my longing is for His promise of deliverance from the PC(USA) long arm to a place of welcome, a place of faith, a place of hope.
4. If hope is the “sweet anticipation of desirable things promised but not yet realized” what are my hopes for the future as a result of my time in quarantine?
For a spirit of renewal and refreshment, a hope that I will not have wasted this precious gift of time.
5. What is God saying to me about this?
Be still and wait upon the Lord...